Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:21 AM
TFS Event Subscription Tool
The Team Alerts dialog lets you subscribe to basic email alerts on a Team Project such as:
- My work items are changed by others.
- Anything is checked in.
- A build status changes.
- A build completes
But the dialog is severely limited; the full richness of the email subscription mechanism in TFS isn't available. To set up advanced subscriptions, you needed to use bissubscribe.exe.
This is problematic, because the command-line syntax is complicated, and also because bissubscribe.exe is only available on the TF Server.
To address this deficiency Naren posted a GUI tool that lets you create Work Item Event Subscriptions in July 2006. The tool was modified later by jatwood so that it supports all event subscriptions, along with a bunch of other enhancements The new Team Foundation Server Event Subscription Tool is up on CodePlex now.
Some examples of subscriptions you might want to create are:
- Email me when any new work item is created.
- Email me when any work item moves to the resolved state.
- Email we when a specific field changes in a work item.
- Email me when someone checks source code into a specific folder.
- Email me when someone overrides a checkin policy.